Saturday 27 October 2012

Beauty uses for Coconut Oil




Did you know that if you use the typical department or drug store brands of cosmetic products daily, you could be absorbing nearly 5 pounds of chemicals into your body annually ? I always try to watch what I put into my body through diet but it never occurred to me to think about the chemicals I put on my skin. I had read how fantastic Coconut oil was for your hair and this little niffty fact was just the push I needed to try it out. 

Why is Coconut oil good for beauty uses ?

Coconut oil is loaded with vitamin E and fatty acids which are naturally anti-fungal, anti-oxidizing and anti-bacterial. Coconut oil topically acts as a wonderful moisturiser for all types of skin and hait. Coconut oil is a safe solution for preventing dryness and flaking of skin and it makes a perfect massage oil, as well. It is known to delay the onset of wrinkles, and sagging of skin which normally become prominent with age. Coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections. Coconut oil should and does form the foundation ingredient of various personal care products such as soaps, lotions, and creams.

Ways to use Coconut Oil in your beauty routine 

For dry damaged hair use it as a treatment before shampooing. I like to heat it slightly in the microwave apply all over my hair and then wrap in it a towel for 10 or 15 minutes. As good, if not better than some of the really expensive hair masks I have bought myself over the years. Can also be massaged into the scalp while treating your hair if you suffer from a dry scalp like me. 

Can also be used after styling your hair to add shine or tame frizz. Just rub a small amount on the palm of your hands and then smooth through your hair. Also leaves your hair smelly yummy like a bounty bar ;)

Use it as an ex foliating facial rub: mix equal parts coconut oil and baking soda then massage into your face for a couple of minutes. Rinse well with warm water to remove the baking soda residue. 

Dark elbow or knee patches - just rub in a little Coconut oil morning and night. 

As a natural DIY body moisturiser. After a bath or shower just rub the Coconut oil all over your body - it feels and smells amazing. 

I have also read that it can be used to treat acne by apply to your face at night. this is down to its natural anti-bacterial properties. I've not tried this yet but think I will give it a go and let you know how I get on. Also can be used to treat rashes and skin conditions such as eczema but as I don't suffer from anything like this i can't give a review. Anyone else tried it for this ?

Things to think about when buying it 

Choose pure virgin or if possible extra virgin Coconut oil and preferably try and use organic. Also ensure it is unrefined, cold pressed and non-hydrogenated. Also a little goes a long way so while £15 for a tub might sound a lot it will last you forever and do a million jobs, I'm still finding new uses for it.   

I buy mines from Holland and Barrett with prices ranging from £5 to £17. Let me know how you get on if you try any of my suggestions above or if you know of any other ways I can add it to my beauty routine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment