Friday 18 October 2013

Homemade Baby Food: Carrots, Broccoli & Cheese Puree

I have decided to start cooking my own baby food as Ella's kitchens are just getting to expensive. Don't get me wrong they are a great convenience product and I always have a couple in my change bag for emergencies or if the little one is at nursery.

I have been cooking in big batches and then freezing the meals in portion sizes. I've been using a silicone muffin tin as it is the perfect portion size, easy to clean and easy to pop the portions out. Once they are frozen I keep them all in freezer bags that i can write a label on including the date. Here is a recipe I cooked this week that my little one is thoroughly enjoying. 






Carrots, Broccoli & Cheese Purée


300g Potatoes peeled and chopped
1 medium Carrot peeled and chopped
75g of Broccoli 
4tbsp of baby's usual milk
15g unsalted butter
40g Chedder Cheese grated

1. Boil Potatoes & Carrots for 20 mins until soft
2. Add Broccoli in for the last 8 minutes or so ( i use frozen Broccoli as it is much easier and they say frozen veg is fresher and contains more of its natural vitamins)
3. Drain the water out and purée or mash. Depending on the stage of your baby's weaning you will know how lumpy or smooth to make it. I use a hand blender as i think it gives me more control of the texture. It was also super cheap from Asda ;) You can also use a potato masher. 

This recipe is great because of it large Broccoli content. Broccoli is a super food containing Vitamin C, beta-carotene, folic acid, Iorn and Potassium ! It only takes around 20 mins to make with minimal prep. especially if you use frozen veggies. The ingredients should make around 4 portions and is best suited for babies 9-12 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment